Monday, February 15, 2010

Asphalt Cowboy

So, this week has been a busy one -- more for Logan than for me. I got a small taste of what his travel regimen is like and I could never handle a schedule like his. 

On Friday, we left after I got off work. We drove north to Klamath Falls, Oregon, where we arrived at about 11 p.m. and got on the road again at 6 a.m. to make it to a noon bull sale in Madras, Oregon. After the bull sale, we went to Ankony Farms outside of Redmond, Oregon to look through their bulls and consignment bulls that are being sold at their sale today (Monday). We made it back to Klamath Falls that night and spent the majority of Valentine's Day driving back to Elk Grove. I had planned to travel with Logan to Bakersfield on Monday, but he was unsure if he would make it back Monday night, so I decided to stay home so I could make it to work on time Tuesday. 

He got on the road at 6 a.m. today (Monday) to make it to some cattlemen's meetings in Visalia and Bakersfield, where he had to give a presentation. While it remains to be seen if he will make it home  tonight or not, the rest of his week doesn't slow down.

Tuesday, he will speak at a meeting in the small town of Vinton, California; Wednesday, he is speaking in Alturas, California; Thursday, he gives the same presentation in Winnemucca, Nevada at a meeting and then Saturday he has to work ring at a bull sale in Fallon, Nevada, after which he gets to drive back home to Elk Grove. Did you get all that? Me neither. I am not sure how he keeps his head on straight. 

If I have calculated correctly, he will have driven just under 2,500 miles in that one week -- and that is just with the scheduled stops, he usually makes a few herd visits during these long trips. With just the scheduled driving, he will be on the road more than 40 hours. Below is an image, courtesy of Mapquest that outlines his travels this week. Point J is our house which is the starting and stopping point. It is also point A, C and E.



As for my President's Day vacation, I am doing laundry and whatever else I can to make the rest of Logan's week a little easier. He usually does all of his own laundry (I know, what a keeper), but this week, I have a feeling he probably won't get to it. 

Since we have had so much rain, the weeds around the perimeter of our back yard have grown out of control. So, I hope to get out there and eliminate part of the jungle this afternoon. I would provide a picture to show how bad it really is, but I left my camera in Logan's car.

All in all, we didn't have a very adventurous or romantic Valentine's Day weekend, but we did get to spend the entire day together, which is more than I can say for many other holidays.

After Logan gets home this weekend, we will turn around next Tuesday and head to Central Utah for a few days. Driving of course.


3 comments:

Allison said...

Oh my word. I can see why you two never see each other! I wouldn't be able to keep up with Logan's travel schedule either!! Not to mention having to always sleep in a motel and eat food on the road. Does his life ever slow down?

Logan and Stevie Ipsen said...

It slows down a little in May and June. Thankfully, February isn't usually quite this crazy. September through November is usually the worst. July this year is looking to be far worse than February has been. I guess at least things never get dull...for Logan anyways:)

Brittany said...

Nice job on the cooking! Jonny does all the real cooking around here...not that I can't, but I just don't have a passion for it like he does. And, let's be honest here, mine never tastes quite as good as when he cooks up a storm. Glad to see that you guys are getting to spend some time together!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones