Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Great Outdoors

Before you decide to help your spouse and your co-worker prepare to build a fence by cutting down a few harmless trees, I would read the following stories and decide for yourself if the risks are worth it. As for me, I will think twice about it next time.

The Great Outdoors: Part One

I guess city life has made me a bit of a wimp. Normally spending a couple hours cutting down small oak trees wouldn't have been a big deal for me. However it would have been nice if my colleague had mentioned two simple words -- POISON OAK -- which he now admits his property is crawling with. Had I known, I may have worn long sleeves, or probably opted not to help at all. For those of you as unfamiliar with this devilish plant as I was, it is obnoxious to say the least. It itches like a mosquito bite times a million. Luckily, I am not suffering alone. Logan was a naive as I was about poison oak; for good reason -- neither of would have any idea about it because it simply doesn't grow in elevations over 4000 feet. He got it a little worse than I did.

This is a picture of my forearm and I hope you won't take this little red mark lightly...it is terrible. Two weeks after exposure, I am still not sure I will recover.


Below is the other arm, each day I keep waking up to more little welts that pack a mean itch. Awesome, they are pretty too.


The Great Outdoors: Part Two

Before you start thinking that the third member of the Ipsen family escaped the excitement, take a look at these little beauties. I found them on Reno today. They kind of turn my stomach. Oh, and no, California ticks don't come in hot pink, that is fingernail polish. I tried to suffocate the big tick out of Reno's neck...I wouldn't recommend that method of tick removal. I pulled them both out with tweezers. yuck.


poor little dog. If I had to choose between these two fence-building tragedies, I would pick the poison oak.


Isn't that sick.





1 comment:

Brittany Miller said...

Poor little guy! Those look huge!

Well thanks for the advice on the trees, we are actually thinking of ripping up some trees in our back in the spring to put in a fence. I am pretty sure they aren't poison oak! But that really sucks. Hope it feels better!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones